When the bee stings, especially yellow jacket’s stings, wounds will be swelling and painful. Here are home remedies for yellow jacket stings which helps soothe swelling, relieve pain as well as neutralize the venom of bee stinger.
Bees are a very popular insect. You can meet them anywhere such as in a flower garden, the park when walking in the forest or even in your home. Most of us have ever been stung at least once; although it’s pretty sore, the bee stings are usually harmless. Unfortunately, if you get a yellow jacket sting, you can reference the home remedies as follows:
- Ice: place a cube of ice in a towel or cloth, then apply a cold compress the sting area at least 20 minutes. The cold compress will reduce the blood flow and swelling. Also, the ice will numb the area being stung to help you feel less pain.
- Toothpaste: apply toothpaste to the wound for about 30 minutes. By creating an itchy reaction, toothpaste can help you to get rid of pain and reduce swelling. Besides, it can neutralize the venom of bee stinger. Therefore, toothpaste is considered as one of the best home remedies for yellow jacket stings.
- Lime: use slaked lime into the stings
- Long green onion: crush a handful of long green onion, take a teaspoon of its juice and rub into the area of the bee stings, then use tweezers to remove the stinger out
- Garlic: mash some cloves of garlic, then put in a small gauze and cover them into the wound. Keep them 30 minutes, then take out
- Black sugar or vinegar: apply black sugar or vinegar directly wound as soon as being stung
- Banana leaves: crumple or chew a handful of banana leaves and take its juice up the wound. This treatment is one of the fantastic home remedies for yellow jacket stings which will reduce the pain and discomfort efficiently.
- Honey: use a little bit of honey over the injured skin area, and keep it within 30 minutes. The honey will soothe the wounds, help you feel relieved. Note: you should not use the honey if you are allergic to this food.
- Mud: If you suddenly were stung while working in the garden, mud would be the best remedy to reduce the pain. Mix a bit of soil with water into the mud, put up the wound, wait to dry then rinse with water
- Lavender essential oil: Dab a few drops of lavender essential oil onto the skin of yellow jacket stings, which helps prevent wound inflammation, and reduce pain. If there is no lavender essential oil, you can dilute any neutral oil and apply on the skin.
- Baking soda: apply the mixture of baking soda and vinegar to the wound within 30 minutes. Like toothpaste, the baking soda also is useful in a reduction of swelling and neutralizing acid substances in the sting of bees.
- Amaranth: With high amounts of vitamins and proteins, amaranth is not only good for health but also have other effects to cure many diseases such as a diuretic, antiseptic property, centipede bites, allergies, rash, dysentery, etc. Especially, it is known as one of the most effective home remedies for yellow jacket stings. When the bee stings (especially venomous bees), you just get amaranth, crush and rub on affected areas. You will see the pain is relieved fast.
- Mint leaves: use tweezers to remove the stinger out, then take the fresh mint leaves, rinse, crush and rub on the stings.
- Taro: cut taro into slices and rub on the stung area, which helps relieve pain
- Purslane or scallion leaves or ginger: mash purslane or scallion leaves and put on the stings. Besides, use a sliced fresh ginger to the wound
- Turpeth leaves and bulbs: crush them and place into the bites
- Use wet tea-leaves to rub on the affected area to help reduce the pain
- 1 fresh flower (regardless of any flowers): rubbing the flower into the stings to help reduce swelling.
- 15 g of fresh cotton-rose hibiscus leaves, add a little salt, then crush them, and then place into stings.
- A piece of soft meat: pork or beef or other soft meats is one of the best remedies to treat bee stings. Just cut a thin slice of the meat, apply onto the injured area within 20-25 minutes, then rinse with cold water. You will feel the swelling is reduced clearly.
When do you need to go to the hospital after the bee stings?
If you have any of the following signs, you need to call an ambulance or go to the hospital as soon as possible for timely treatment. Your face is swollen while bee stings are located in other parts of the body. In particular, the swelling appears in the lips, tongue, throat or eyes.
Above is the first home remedies for yellow jacket stings before transferring to the hospital. Please note that the victim of the bee stings should be discovered and first aid as soon as possible (within 10-15 minutes).